Re: CULT: Iris for Various Climates

Two thoughts -

(1) When we offered to purchase newly introduced irises for the
University of Tennessee Trial Gardens, they weren't interested.  Their
comment was, with all the people in your club growing these irises
already, you have your own trial gardens.  There is an opportunity for a
wealth of information about cultivar performance if it were compiled.
Talk about a challenging opportunity!  I am still trying to gather
compile the information just from our club, and shudder to think of the
difficulty of doing the same for an entire region, much less the whole

I agree that one death of one rhizome in one garden doesn't tell much.
Repeated deaths of the same or cultivars from the same genetic lines in
several gardens in the same area does tell something.  But not the whole
story.  Examples - IMMORTALITY took about a dozen or more tries to get
established.  She has the healthiest foliage of any cultivar I grow, can
produce incredibly strong seedlings, and for now, is the main component
in some of my breeding lines.  ROMANTIC EVENING barely will stay alive
here (and elsewhere in region 7), but can produce strong seedlings.

(2) In a different climate, if my rebloomer seedling would rebloom
reliably and have the gorgeous color it had on maiden bloom here, I
think it would be worth introducing.  But gardeners trying to grow it in
hotter/drier climates would have good cause to complain! <g>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8