Re: CULT: planting time?

I'm in zone 3/4 and I've been forced to plant this late a couple of times when orders have arrived late from vendors. I found the irises did fine if I put a cold frame over them once they were planted. The first year I didn't protect them and planted this late, they heaved up out of the ground during late winter and early spring freeze-thaw cycles and I lost them. The difference is in their having enough time to put down a good root system to anchor them in place before Mother Nature dishes out that kind of punishment. The cold frame gives them a few extra weeks.

Janet in Denmark WI
zone 3/4

----- Original Message ----- From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>

Hello, zone 4 folks. -- A friend asks whether this is still a good time to
plant in the Buffalo, NY area, or whether they should wait until next year.
Advice appreciated. -- Griff