Re: CULT: planting time?

I'm in 3b, and I find that if I plant beardeds after Aug. 15, I'll start to experience some winter loss. The longer after Aug. 15 I plant, the higher the percentage of loss will be. I prefer to get all beardeds in the ground by the end of July, if possible.

Another option for late arriving irises in a cold climate is to pot them up and overwinter them indoors under lights or in sunny windows. I've done this over a couple of winters, and it works fine as long as care is taken not to overwater. Irises overwintered indoors will grow spindly, floppy foliage until they are replanted outdoors and are susceptible to aphid infestations, but aside from those little issues, indoor living suits them fine for a few months.

Laurie