Re: CULT: Early Season

Colleen -- It sounds like you're having the kind of early season that we had in the mid-Atlantic states this spring. I wonder what the meteorologists can make of that? While the blossoms were welcome, my seedlings began coming up in February and were ready for transplanting long before I had the new beds ready. The summer has been unusual -- a dry month, then 2 or 3 heavy rain days, then another dry month, then a couple of rain days, then another dry month, and now I've just been chased out of the garden by a thunderstorm. So, other than needing to water the first-year seedlings occasionally, it's been rather good weather. And the cool fronts in August and September have kept the hurricanes out to sea! And with those cool fronts, I'm also hoping for more rebloom than I usually see here. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Colleen Modra" <colleen@impressiveirises.com.au>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:18 PM
Subject: [iris] CULT: Early Season

HI from down south, really south.

We're just starting to warm up for a very early bloom season. I though we were
running about 2 weeks early this year, but it may be more. I noticed yesterday
that my iris lactea was in full bloom. Last year it flowered late Oct-early
Nov. A whole month later.

The PCIs started blooming about 3 weeks ago and we have a number of SDBs and
early TBs out. We have a number of early shows this year so early bloom won't
be a problem, other than we've had 2 frost already this week.

So stand by for lots of photos, when I get a chance.

Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills
South Australia

colleen@impressiveirises.com.au