Re:HYB: pigment (was sdlng from Pink Formal etc)
  • Subject: Re:HYB: pigment (was sdlng from Pink Formal etc)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 08:20:41 -0400

After sklmming over posts from you and Neil in iris@hort.net archives, I have the impression that fewer pigments are known to be present in bearded irises in the plastids (i.e., yellow & pink) than in the vacuoles (many anthocyanins).

Is that your understanding also, Chuck?

Are the modifiers and co-pigments mostly in the plastids or vacuoles, or is that known? & is it known how many there are?

<No chain of dominance and many forms can be present in same flower. This is without considering all the modifiers and co-pigments.>

Now that I've <finally> lined out the seedlings from "cloud shadows" X ABOUT TOWN and seen how robust and floriferous that anthocyanin "pink" amoena is, I might want to try to modernize the form a bit, but haven't a clue what kind of genes to cross it with to keep from losing that intensity of color. & from your comment, it sounds like this may be one of those unknowables.

<While a lot of research has been done on pigments, (the chemistry that is ) very little has been done on how these pigments translate into flower colour>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7
ahhh, cool, wet and foggy.  Wonderful change in the weather.