Re: HYB: question - numbering seedlings?
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: question - numbering seedlings?
  • From: John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:35:05 -0700

Most use the year of the cross. But that information is generally not useful anyway. What is important is the parentage.  Most pedigree runners don't care what form the seedling number is (and they are numerous), only that they can search for the number and/or find named cultivars that are the parents.

What is also is consistency form of the number in the spaces, dashes and other separators that are used. Using 94 DR29X one time and 94-OM/14 another time makes it difficult for searchers.

John

On Sep 24, 2011, at 6:24 AM, Linda Mann wrote:

> Now that I'm getting very close to having seedlings to introduce, I want to clean up my seedling ID system a bit to maybe make it more useful to the rest of the world by adding year to the ID.
>
> When giving a year number, do  most people number for the year the seeds were formed, the year the seedlings were planted, or (I assume not) the year of maiden bloom?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Linda Mann

John I Jones
Registrar-Recorder