Suggestion on subject lines when discussing people
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Suggestion on subject lines when discussing people
  • From: Gesine Lohr <gesine.lohr@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:07:07 -0700

Hi all --

When I see a subject line something like

OT: Sally Someone

the first thing that springs to my mind is, oh gosh, I hope she's not dead.

So I suggest that we make such subject lines more detailed -- possibly

OT:  Sally Someone, having knee trouble

OT:  Sally Someone, write to her in hospital

When the news IS that someone has died, I've seen subject lines like this
which I think are good:

OT:  Sad news about Patty Person

which is less blunt than "Patty Person is dead", but still gives a bit of a
preparation for sad news.

Gesine