HYB: summer seed germination
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: HYB: summer seed germination
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 18:49:58 -0400

I've been trying to get caught up repotting all the seedlings that were too small to line out this spring, and have been amazed at how many have come up over the summer.

I've rarely seen seeds sprout in the summer before, can only assume the relatively cooler temperatures (lots of nights in the upper 60s this year, very unusual summer temps) and constant rain is what did it.

After the first summer/fall in the fridge, I pot up seeds in 4 inch square pots, usually put them on the sunporch to sprout for a month, then pot up whatever seedlings have come up, put them outdoors or leave them on the sunporch for more chilling (depending on which place gives them the most hours between 35 & 45oF) for another month, then back in for more sprouting, etc until it's staying above freezing most nights outdoors, when they go outside for the rest of their stay.

I usually see some late germination outdoors during bloom season, too late to survive summers here, try to keep up with potting them all into quart, 2, or 3 gallon pots to grow till the following fall or spring before planting in the ground.

This year, I got all the spring babies potted up, but have two flats worth of 4 inch pots with seedlings that have sprouted in June, July & August. About 2/3 of them sprouted in June & July, & I assumed that was all of them, but yesterday found that another batch had come up. Most only have 1 to 3 babies, because most seeds that are viable sprouted over the winter, so it's not a lot, but still surprising to me that they would come up in the middle of summer.

Just thought I'd share.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7