Re: HYB: REB: stalk on IMM kid!
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: REB: stalk on IMM kid!
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:21:04 -0400

Not enough to tell us much, Chuck.

This was a frustrating cross - there were 89 seeds in two pods, but the stalks rotted off or pods had worms or there was some problem (my notes aren't explicit, just say "some bad?") & very poor germination. Only 9 lined out, 5 still alive, no 2nd year germination that I can find (will check more carefully later when I have time). One of the 5 survivors maiden bloomed last fall the same time as this one, but no sign of stalks on it so far this year.

The clump of IMM that I fertilized with a mix of 10-10-10 and superphosphate and hoed around has two more stalks up, one bloom open. That's four stalks from this clump this summer, plus spring bloom. ;-)

One other clump is buried under the Gaura right now and is not looking happy at all - torn between guaranteed Gaura spectacle and iffy IMM bloom.....

There are a <lot> of seedlings from the same year's cross of IMM X 2nd generation bee 'nephew' (i.e. 'cream weed' x bee): 75 seeds from 3 pods , a bunch of first and 2nd year germinants in the ground, plus I just potted up a few 3rd yrs. None maiden bloomed last fall, but there should be enough survivors to give some believable ratios, re: rebloom genes in the nephew.

There are also 3 other IMM X Imm kid seedlings from that year plus one from last year, but few seeds from most of them, low to zero seedlings, and no fall or summer bloom so far. IMM X (Imm x Dusky Grape), IMM X "pink monster":(Imm x (Pink Formal x bee)), IMM X "cloud shadows": (Imm x Csong), and IMM X pinkBB(Imm x Csong)