Re: A rose is a rose... (Irises Named for The Blues)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: A rose is a rose... (Irises Named for The Blues)
  • From: Barb Johnson <ljohnson@cland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 08:52:18 -0600 (MDT)

Irisborer@aol.com wrote:

> On the thread of iris names... I personally don't find any offensive at all!
>  After all, words is words.  I don't collect any by a particular name... but
> I DO collect daylilies with witch and warlock names... and plant them all in
> the bed called Salem's Lot.  Just for fun!
>
> BUT... one missed opportunity, IMHO, with iris breeders is the RICH American
> blues tradition we have.... and the RICH selection of blue irises coming to
> market.  Why has no-one latched onto the blues for naming their irises?
>
> Billie Holliday
> Luther Allison (just deceased)
> Robert Johnson
> Elmore James
> BB King
> Little Walter
> and so on......
>
> Seems like a natural to me!
>
> Kathyguest - whose son plays in a traditional blues band
> E. Aurora, NY

There is one new iris named for The Blues that I'm aware of, and that's
Rick Ernst's new BLUE NOTE BLUES in Cooley's 1997 catalog, but it sounds
like it couldn't be--is there really a blues bar in Katmandu?

BLUE NOTE BLUES (R.Ernst, '97) ML 38" F
     Named for "The Blue Note," our favorite blues bar in Katmandu,
Nepal. Big wide ruffles over all. Bright medium standards, evenly
colored, are in perfect proportion to the wide blue falls. The medium
blue blends lighter on the falls toward the white beards. Sweet
fragrance. 8-9 buds on 3 branches.

Scratching my head,
Barb Johnson                  ljohnson@cland.net
Southwest Missouri Ozarks     USDA Zone 5b     AIS Region 18 (MO & KS)