Re: OLD IRIS

Bob said,

<<Back in the early seventies some distant relation of mine gave me an iris
that I still think is the most attractive I have ever seen. It was close to
white and had marking around the edge that looked like someone drew short
blue lines on it....My relation lived across from an old cemetary and
possibly that is where they got it. I am pretty sure it was a very old
cultivarAny help or pictures on the internet would be appreciated.>>

Bob, there are several historic cultivars that could meet your description,
but you should pop over to the HIPS site and take a good look at MME CHEREAU,
frequently received as a n heirloom, and often referred to as "the button
hole iris" for her distinct lines of "stitching" on the falls. She is very
beautiful.

Look at the other stuff, too, while you are there. Mike has put up some
really nice photos.

http://eagle.tricities.net/~mikelowe/ . Go to "Quick Fix".

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Hery Hall  henryanner@aol.com