Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 19:57:26 -0600 (MDT)

Edmund L. Castillo wrote:

> At 10:30 PM 8/30/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >Growers all -- I have some lately-developed beds and need to get the
> >newly received plants into them before too long. Solarizing these beds
> >will take 2-3 weeks, and I would like to plant sooner than that. Does
> >anyone have any experience with treating a bed with a pre-germinant weed
> >controller such as Gallery, Snapshot or Barricade when one is going to
> >plant (or has just planted) newly-dug adult plants? Barricade warns on
> >the package that it may cause problems with newly-developing root
> >tissue.  I used Snapshot on my seedling beds last year and got no bloom
> >this year. Nothing died, but nothing bloomed.
> >
> >Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA
> >jgcrump@erols.com
> >
> Griff:
>
> As you know, Glenna and I are not experienced iris growers but we have had
> very good results with PREEN, or its variant, PREEN & GREEN which contains a
> fertilizer. It generally has held down the usual weeds which grow from
> germinating seeds, but of course is useless against crab grass and clover
> which spread through roots.  We used it at Sara's recommendation and have
> not had any complaint.  I believe (but am not sure) that it is similar in
> composition to Snapshot.
>
> Ed

> Edmund L. Castillo in Loudoun Co., VA
> castillo@pipeline.com

Thanks for the response, Ed -- Sara was my source for Snapshot, which
does work very well on established plants, but, as I noted in my
posting, may have some bad effect on seedlings. I have used Preen for 23
years, but it's like the little girl who, when she was good was very,
very good, but when she was bad she was awful. By which I mean that
Preen only works for me about half the time. I have had weeds spring up
so quickly and thickly after a bed was newly tilled and Preened that I
had to do it all over again. When the weeds come up after your plantings
are in, you're stuck. I have such a bed right now, and am re-solarizing
a bed next to it that I haven't planted yet.

Snapshot, as I mentioned above, works very well on established plants to
control weeds, but ONLY weeds -- NOT grass.

Since we're talking on the list -- leaving pre-germinants and going to
killers of growing vegetation -- I might as well mention that BASAGRAN
did kill grass, including yellow sedge, which VANTAGE did NOT kill.
Learning the hard way is expensive, so I am glad to pass this on. A word
of caution -- BASAGRAN must be mixed carefully for the proper
proportions (you must figure it out from the enclosed directions
according to the kind of applicator you're using), or it can damage your
plants. A very experienced friend tells me that it damaged some of his
last year because he used the wrong strength.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who knows of the effects on
newly-planted adult irises of Barricade, Snapshot and Gallery.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, who took a rare
day off from irising for the opening of dove season today. Bird activity
was much less this year than last, perhaps because of the drought, but
brought enough home for a nice meal.