Re: Bulb Prices -- Van Bourgondiens

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Bulb Prices -- Van Bourgondiens
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:40:01 -0600 (MDT)

I started ordering from Van Bourgondien in 1993 and have ordered regularly
since. During that time, they have never listed any aril irises in their
catalog, so I have not experienced the particular problems Sharon had.

Everything I've ordered from them has been true to name. The bulbs
especially are a good value. The perennials are OK too, but it is best to
order kinds that you know are rugged enough to handle bare-root treatment
(such as daylilies and hostas). I prefer to get more delicate plants from a
nursery that ships potted perennials.

VB has two catalogs: a retail catalog and a wholesale one. Be sure to get
your hands on the latter. You have to order in fairly large quantities, but
you get extremely good value. The retail catalog, in my opinion, is not
priced low enough to compete with other mail-order nurseries.

Happy irising, Tom.
Tom Tadfor Little                       telp@Rt66.com
Iris-L list owner  *  USDA zone 5/6  *  AIS region 23
Santa Fe, New Mexico (USA)
Telperion Productions      http://www.rt66.com/~telp/
Iris-L Web Site  http://www.rt66.com/~telp/garden.htm