OT-BIO: William M. Groth

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-BIO: William M. Groth
  • From: "William M. Groth" <groth@rice.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:39:44 -0600 (MDT)

Hello Irisarians,

	 We live in Houston Texas, a western suberb actually which puts us in
zone 9, the upper Texas Gulf Coast.  We have a lot of hot and a lot of
humid here.  We just planted our herbs in a raised bed and we got a canopy
type cover
to provide some shade for the first 3 weeks.  There is no natural shade
during the day.  We also have 3 raised beds for flowers and a rock garden.

	My wife Joan and I just moved from a townhome to a new house and have
been in the house since July 1996.  We just put in the raised beds and I am
interested in adding some Irises to our gardens.  We were trying to put plants
in the beds at the townhome and we found an Iris with the most beautiful and
dainty pink and white blooms and planted one there.  It has received severe
neglect and suffered through a cold hard winter (for Houston) but when we were
over there last month it was one of the only plants which survived from our
landscaping efforts.  I would like to gets some varieties of Irises for our
new home gardens which will suffer no worst than benign neglect.

	Does anyone have some suggestions?  Also I have not seen any Irises
as of lately at the local nurseries.  Is there a specific growing season for
Irises in Houston, TX?

       William M. Groth
       groth@ruf.rice.edu
       Senior Staff Auditor