Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control
  • From: Henryanner@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 07:15:10 -0600 (MDT)

Gayla wrote:

<< I have a question about Surflan.  Is it granulated or a liquid?   How much
do  I need to put on my garden?  And, is it ok for Illinois iris that will
get  lots of harsh cold this winter. >>

Hi, Gayla.

Surflan as I know it is an expensive liquid pre-emergent germination

The procedure for using it is this: First you must determine how much liquid
will be needed to cover the area you want to treat. Practice with water.Then
you need to decide how long you want it to be effective. Then you must
calculate how much Surflan concentrate to put into the necessary volume of
water to get the concentration that will remain effective for the desired
period. Then you mix it up and apply it. Mine came orange- tinted so I could
see where I had already been. Then you need to ensure that a half inch of
water gets on it within 21 days.

I enjoy weeding, so I have used it only on my gravel parking area and I am
very happy with the results.

Rick Tasco has said in the past that your irises need to be established
before you use this chemical. This is becuse it affects the growing points of
the roots. I can offer no opinion about its performance in Illinois, but you
may want to go to the Iris-l Archives and use the keyword Surflan to search
for the various postings. I think Mr. Wolford had something to say, and he is
somewhere in your neck of the woods.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com