Re: Bulb Source Ratings

Walter reported:

<< The September issue of CONSUMER REPORTS has rated major sources on
 certain, selected bulbs.  The rankings are as follows:

 	1. White Flower Farm
 	2. Local nurseries (open stock)
 	3. Breck's
 	4. Dutch Gardens
 	5. Van Dyck's Flower Farms
 	6. Van Bourgodien Brothers
<<.............

This doesn't surprise me. I might discount White Fower Farm's premier listing
as a product of the high-class image they project were it not for they fact
that they are in  partnership with the excellent Daffodil Mart of
Glouchester, VA, who now supply many of their bulbs. The latter company does
offer bulbous irises, and has, in the past offered some very rare ones. They
still issue their own catalog as well.

I'm also not surprized to see that open stock bulbs are appreciated. The ones
around here are generally very good. In fact, I was surprized last year when
I shared an order with someone to Scheepers and the tulip bulbs were much
inferior to those from the neighborhood flower center. The later was a bit
more expensive, but the shipping costs cancelled this advantage.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com