Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 12:43:11 -0600 (MDT)

Henryanner@aol.com wrote:

> Surflan as I know it is an expensive liquid pre-emergent germination
> inhibitor.

Anner--

I don't really think Surflan is expensive?  We buy it under the brand
name of Weed Stopper put out by a company called Monterey.  It is
basically just Surflan packaged in smaller quantities.

We buy a pint for about $20 and a quart for about $40 and we can do our
entire acre of iris with about 1 1/2 quarts.  So the backyard gardener
would most certainly need no more than a pint.  It is HIGHLY
concentrated and you use very little.

$20 to stop the back-breaking agony of weed pulling doesn't sound that
expensive.  What do you pay for Surflan (if you use it) and in what size
package?

It (Surflan) can be expensive if you buy the big 2 1/2 gallon bottles,
but that would be enough for a lifetime for most people!

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California Sierra Nevada foothills--Zone 8--where we have a
touch of humidity today after the monsoonal moisture from the Southwest
backed over the Sierras yesterday