Re: Iris hexagona

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Chris Morris wrote:

> Dear All,
> Living in the frozen North of the UK on the Northern side of Hadrian's
> Wall I'm a bit worried about the small seedling I. Hexagona that I've
> just planted out on my raised bed. A recent book suggests that it may not
> flourish here (rarely get down to -10oC in the winter or above 25oC in
> the summer). Does anyone have any thoughts about wether it will survive
> and more importantly flourish and flower outside it's own climate? I have
> Watsonia outside and they flower but are covered with a cloche in winter.
> Christopher Morris
> Hexham Northumberland, UK

Chris, I don't know which zone you live in but some of the LA's are
hardy in zone 4. TWOI says I hexagona are hybrids from I fulva,
brevicaulis, gigantocelulea (hope I've spelt that right?) and
nelsoni. Fulva is hardy in zone 4. Nelsoni not and probably not
brevicaulis either.  So whether your seedling is hardy depends on
which species it has in its parentage. But put it in a protected
spot and put a brick or stone on it to stop it from heaving. Let us
know please how it does. LA's need a lot of water but I don't know
how much during the winter. Has anyone else an opinion on this?

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html