Re: Louisianans

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Ian E. Efford wrote:

> I would suggest some slight changes to Diana's comments to chris on
> hardiness of Louisianans.
>
> I agree that "some of the LA's are hardy in zone 4" but not with the
> statement that "nelsoni not and probably not brevicaulis either"
> nelsoni, in two colour varieties, has been grown by Bruce Richardson
> near Hamilton, which I assume is Zone 4 and brevicaulis grows wild in
> Southern Ontario also near Detroit which, again I assume is in zone 4.

Bruce's place in either zone 6 or 7. Ditto for South Ontario in the
 Niagara peninsula.

> I have some of the nelsoni and definite plant of Dorothy K. Williamson
> which are just about to be tested in a minus 35C winter (although
> projections from El Nino suggest this will be a very mild winter in
> Eastern Canada!).

Be interesting to see how the nelsonii does over the winter.
> Ian

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html