Auction Fever

Hello, irisers...

this will have been my first FULL week of school (and by that I mean
having attended every class every day.)  And, to treat myself, I went to
the auction last night.  About the second iris auctioned was AFFAIRE, by
Barry Blyth (you can see it on the world iris web page.)  And I won.
Diana Winship paid the same amount for the second rhizome, but I WON!!!
Then, about an hour later, one of the two irises I had to have, WAFFLE
TALK, was up for auction.  After sitting through an hour of stuff out of
my price range, I actually jumped up and began waving my auction paddle
while he was still announcing the name.  My strategy was simple: keep
that bidding paddle up in the air until Diana told people to quit
bidding against me.  It worked.  Mine for $16.  Unfortunately, ny father
had arrived while I was bidding, and I don't think he approved of my
techniques:  DAD:  Can you afford this?  How are you paying?
ME:  Mom gave me your checkbook, and signed four checks.

The last one I wanted to bid on was BLACK FALLS.  When they told us "on
to '97 irises,"  I went and *discreetly* asked the auctioneer's helper
to please auction that next.  Once again, I won by about 2 seconds.
Someone bid $18 right after the auctioneer said "sold."  I left the
meeting with three irises, three new friends, ( I met Jana Bone of our
very own iris-l last night!), three pieces of Diana's upside-down
pineapple cake, and minus one stainless steel serving spoon.  Parents,
never rush your children,  sometimes we're as forgetful as you! <VBG>

AND... I saw a picture of Tom Burseen's Air Up There...  Words, pictures
cannot do it justice.