Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic
  • From: "Albert F. Limberg" <campconn@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:01:52 -0600 (MDT)

Gayla:

I have found that anything that passed UV actually seems to promote
grass seed germination and growth.  It may cook the weeds and anything
else under it but it actually promotes grass growth.  Hence, the back
plastic seems to work best to control most weeds.  I have found that
anything that inhibits water passage to the soil also promotes surface
root systems.  Almost seems like there isn't any way to control weeds
except by tilling and pulling . . . for those who shy away from
pesticides.

Al Limberg
Concord, CA

P.S.  Enjoyed four years at Bradley University in the late 1950's.
Always liked Peoria and Central Illinois.