Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:33:42 -0600 (MDT)

Albert F. Limberg wrote:
> Gayla:
> I have found that anything that passed UV actually seems to promote
> grass seed germination and growth.  It may cook the weeds and anything
> else under it but it actually promotes grass growth.  Hence, the back
> plastic seems to work best to control most weeds.  I have found that
> anything that inhibits water passage to the soil also promotes surface
> root systems.  Almost seems like there isn't any way to control weeds
> except by tilling and pulling . . . for those who shy away from
> pesticides.

University of California tests and studies deem CLEAR plastic the best
to use in OUR California climate.  Believe me, it kills ALMOST ALL weed
seeds and ALL grasses here, we've done it for two years with proof.

You're only about 2-3 hours away from us, and very close to the U of
California, you should follow their guidelines--it WILL work here in
California if it is done properly!

It KILLS ALL GRASSES here, even Bermuda--we have done it!  Maybe you're
not keeping your soil wet under the clear plastic, that is another key
to making it work!

Cannot vouch for clear vs black plastic in other sections of the

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California Sierra Nevada foothills--Zone 8