Re: CULT: alfalfa pellets and BIG varmints

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: alfalfa pellets and BIG varmints
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:53:19 -0600 (MDT)

Linda Mann wrote:
> Right before I left town for a week, I planted a piece of EURYTHMIC
> under the overhang of a shed hoping this microsite would protect it from
> excess rain (NOT a problem this summer).  When I got home, the rhizome
> was tossed out of the ground and the hole where I planted it excavated,
> leaving a foot wide dust bowl.  I have never seen this kind of digging
> associated with my plantings before and it took me until this morning to
> figure out that the hungry horse, who has never bothered any of my iris
> plantings before, went after the alfalfa pellets mixed in the soil!
> Duh.
> I guess I need to make some kind of alfalfa compost that is less
> palatable.  Anybody else grow irises in a horse lot and have suggestions
> for ways to incorporate alfalfa pellets?  I guess I could water it into
> the soil and cover the spot with some lumber or other junk until it
> decomposes a bit before planting.
> Linda Mann lmann@icx.net
> east Tennessee USA

---Or, Linda, you could wait till your horse processes the alfalfa
pellets, plus a year or so, then put the product around EURYTHMIC. The
horse won't be interested in the processed alfalfa, EURYTHMIC will be
ecstatic, and you can go Blyth-ly on your way.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, where
tomorrow the C&P Iris Society picnics at Walter and Sara Marley's log
cabin home in the Blue Ridge.  jgcrump@erols.com