Re: D.K. Williamson and tropical paradises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: D.K. Williamson and tropical paradises
  • From: sandy_ives@cbc.ca
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:54:03 -0600 (MDT)

Ian Efford said...

"Having lived in Ottawa for 20 years now, I remember the North
of England as a balmy tropical paradise where almost anything
would grow!"

I might add the following:

Having lived in Ottawa for 13 years now, I remember Southern
Ontario (Bruce Richardson's location) as a balmy tropical paradise
where almost anything would grow!

More seriously, the problems we had with D.K. Williamson were due to
borer, not with the weather.  We attempted to get rid of it
several years ago due to our inability to keep it borer free and to
extreme space problems in our garden.  One rhizome fell upon rocky
ground...but that didn't stop it from reappearing despite very poor
conditions and blooming once again.  I'm sure it would welcome a
transfer to Ian's garden...next year.

We also have several species from Bruce Richardson's garden which
have survived two years to date and bloomed profusely this year.
Other species have not survived, but those were in our beginning
years.  We intend to pursue further those species which do not
require wet conditions.

sandy_ives@cbc.ca