Re: TB CULT: Rhizome Clips

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TB CULT: Rhizome Clips
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:06:47 -0600 (MDT)

Robert Dickow wrote:
> >On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net> wrote:
> >
> >I feel a little stupid asking this, but how does one get irises with
> >rhizomes with no roots to stand up?  Do you shave off the leaves as
> >well?  Do you bury them?   Do you make little crutches for them?  I
> >could easily stack rocks on them and sometimes do prop up fans with
> >little gravel piles.
> I usually find that my TBs stand up well on their own if they have
> at least a few roots, but soil types vary. Try making a sort of
> temporary wire (coathanger, for example) 'clip'. Bend the wire into
> a U shape and poke it down into the soil so that the rhizome
> is stabilized. I used to make 'rhizome clips' of a similar sort to
> clip newly divided Cattleya orchids stand up firmly in their pots.
> ***********************************************//*
> *       Bob Dickow  (dickow@uidaho.edu)     \\// *
> * Associate Professor of Horn/Theory/Composition *
> *  Lionel Hampton School of Music/Univ of Idaho  *
> *     URL:   http://www.uidaho.edu/~dickow/      *

Bob -- It took me a moment to figure out what you meant by the U-shaped
"clip". Apparently, this u-shaped wire (coathanger) is straddled across
the back of the rhizome and the two ends are then pushed down into the
soil, so that the rhizome is bound down. That sounds like an excellent
idea. I lost several hundred seedlings to heaving in the winter of
95-96. It's certainly worth trying.

Griff Crump. along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA