Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control
  • From: RMTURLEY@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 18:41:25 -0600 (MDT)

In a message dated 9/5/97 7:16:50 AM, J. Griffin Crump wrote:
> I'd still like to hear from anyone who knows of the effects on
> newly-planted adult irises of Barricade, Snapshot and Gallery. >>

Dear Griff,

Snapshot is a combo of Treflan and Gallery!  Treflan, Gallery, and Surflan
are products of DowElanco (or it was the last time I check)  The chemical
companies are bought and sold regularly it is hard to keep up anymore!

Treflan and Surflan are "yellow" preemerge herbicides that control grasses
with some broadleaf with higher rates.

Gallery is a fairly new product design to control broad leaf weeds, hence the
combo Snapshot:  grass and broadleaf weed control.

I told one of DowElanco's sales reps they should have combine Surflan and
Gallery.  You would have had a better and safer product in my opinion.

If you get too much Treflan it will "root prune" plants and cause yellowing
and stunting.

Surflan does not produce this effect.  If you make an error in application on
the heavy side, it is Surflan than is far more kinder and forgiven than

<< Rick wrote: Sorry I can't speak about the above but I do swear by Surflan.
 The label states that the plants should get rooted first before applying,
but I do know some growers that spray right after planting.  For me I apply
in the fall after the plants put down roots (I get winter weeds) and it nary
lets any germinate.  Lasts a year for me and perhaps longer if I didn't
replant each year.  >>

The label is the law!  Rick is correct!  But I am not apprehensive about
applying right after planting following label rates with a light rain or
irrigation to seal it in after application.

Robert Turley
Lake Charles, LA