Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 18:53:07 -0600 (MDT)

Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:

> Albert F. Limberg wrote:
> >
> > Gayla:
> >
> > I have found that anything that passed UV actually seems to promote
> > grass seed germination and growth.  It may cook the weeds and anything
> > else under it but it actually promotes grass growth.  Hence, the back
> > plastic seems to work best to control most weeds.  I have found that
> > anything that inhibits water passage to the soil also promotes surface
> > root systems.  Almost seems like there isn't any way to control weeds
> > except by tilling and pulling . . . for those who shy away from
> > pesticides.
>
> Al--
>
> University of California tests and studies deem CLEAR plastic the best
> to use in OUR California climate.  Believe me, it kills ALMOST ALL weed
> seeds and ALL grasses here, we've done it for two years with proof.
>
> You're only about 2-3 hours away from us, and very close to the U of
> California, you should follow their guidelines--it WILL work here in
> California if it is done properly!
>
> It KILLS ALL GRASSES here, even Bermuda--we have done it!  Maybe you're
> not keeping your soil wet under the clear plastic, that is another key
> to making it work!
>
> Cannot vouch for clear vs black plastic in other sections of the
> country.
>
> Rick Tasco
> Superstition Iris Gardens
> Central California Sierra Nevada foothills--Zone 8

Rick -- Hadn't heard about keeping it MOIST under the plastic. How does
one do this?  Day before yesterday, I peeled the black plastic off a bed
that had been under wraps for 2 months. Today, the grass is sprouting!
@#%*&!

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA  and still
behind the weed curve!  jgcrump@erols.com