Re: seaweed

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: seaweed
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 20:51:01 -0600 (MDT)

Gardenhous writes (5 Sept 97):

> another question for you all   I can harvest seaweed as fertilizer. Has
> anyone used it   and any problems with the salinity levels?

Hi Doreen!

Farmers in coastal areas in various parts of the world have used seaweed as
fertilizer for centuries, so I doubt it causes salinity problems. However,
seaweed tends to raise the pH of soil to which it is applied, so if you
have iris that prefer somewhat acidic conditions, such as Japanese,
Louisianas, or Siberians, it would probably not be advisable to use it
where they are being grown.

P.S. It would be helpful if you would add an indicatioin of where you are
located to your signature line.

cwalters@cache.net