CULT: Blythi intros, EURYTHMIC (was Re: CULT: alfalfa pellets and BIG

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: Blythi intros, EURYTHMIC (was Re: CULT: alfalfa pellets and BIG
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 06:32:07 -0600 (MDT)

A couple of listers have made the same suggestion about using 'horse
processed' alfalfa pellets for Eurythmic after my horse child kept
rooting around for the fresh alfalfa and tossing the poor rhizome around
in the dust, so I figured I would post an update.  After about a week of
that abuse, I potted it in a 6 inch pot of a mixture of gravelly
'compost' from a ditch around the barn and about 1/4 fresh alfalfa
pellets.  Using a modified "Walter Moores" approach to potting, I have
used this same mix (without removing roots) for all my new acquisitions
and they are all in partial shade.  No problem keeping everybody
standing up straight - once the alfalfa pellets get saturated, the
entire pot contents are glued together and latch on to the rhizome like
mad.  I watered Eurythmic (and all the others I
got about the same time) nearly every day while waiting for some rain.
EURYTHMIC has put on more height growth than anything.

A recent post from someone 'down under' (sorry, I didn't save the post
so can't remember who it was) mentioned their past winter was much drier
than usual which made me wonder if our extremely wet winters may be a
big contributor to many Blyth intros not doing very well in this region
of the US (in other words the combination of wet and cold).  It doesn't
seem to be heat and water or too many nutrients at this time of year,
judging from the way this one has shot up.

How much winter rainfall is typical in the Blyth's growing location for
selecting their cvs?  I am wondering if I ought to try putting this pot
in a shed out of the rain once it quits growing over the winter.  Or
maybe even indoors where it doesn't get as cold.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA lmann@icx.net
FINALLY some rain - one inch (2.54 cm) barely dampened the surface.  But
at least it's cooler