Re: Louisianans

Walter A. Moores wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Bill Shear wrote:
> >
> > >     I question the hardiness of tet. La's in Zones 7/8.  Every year
> > >they get zapped in my bog and do not bloom.  Somebody said they prefer
> > >upland growing conditions and not bogs.  I posted this message once before
> > >but nobody responded.
> > >
> > Tetraploid LAs have done beautifully in my garden for many years.  Some are
> > evidentely chance seedlings, so they seem to do well here far to the north
> > of Walter's Mississippi garden.  Could it be that early warm weather
> > entices new soft growth that then gets hit by late frosts?
> >
> > Bill Shear
>         The diploids are no problem.  I won Queen of the Show with Marie
> Dolores this spring and got the Beardless Section Certificate.  The only
> ones that are affected are the tets.  This also occurred in my garden 125
> miles south before I moved to my present location.  Both locations had the
> La's planted in a bog.  I may move them out of there to higher ground and
> see what happens.
>         I see bloom on tets once every five years or so!
>         Walter Moores
>         Enid Lake, MS  7/8

Here in California I have my tet and dip Louisianas planted together and
do not notice any difference in performance.  I grow the tets Coorabell
and Professor Neil.  I also have Professor Marta Marie but am not sure
if it is a tet or not?  My La's are planted in a depressed bed that is
kept wet all summer.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California