CAT: Stockton Gardens

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CAT: Stockton Gardens
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 18:02:33 -0600 (MDT)

Fellow growers -- I was about to transmit a "mea culpa", but I read my
mail first. I received my Stockton's order today, postmarked the day of
my as yet unanswered phone call. Perhaps a coincidence. The plants were
washed, Walter, but there was no invoice. Of seven that I ordered, they
supplied three. For the other four, they provided substitutes. I'll
chalk that up to late ordering. They also included four bonus iris --
two of which are 1997 introductions of theirs. They may also have given
me a "sub" for an ordered variety that they shipped, but which was
small. I can't quite tell. It would help if they had answered the phone
call. I have talked directly with five other commercial gardens this
year (electronically or telephonically) and it has helped tremendously
-- Joe Ghio, Brad Kasperek, Rick and Roger, Joan Roberts (Friendship
Gardens), and Don and Ginny Spoon (Winterberry Gardens). At any rate, I
now have from Stockton Gardens several nice irises which I, as a
hybridizer, have no use for, since they are outside the lines I am
interested in. I will list these at a later date, and hope to trade
them. Meantime, I must say that Abe Feuerstein's BRAVE NEW WORLD makes
the current problems of Stockton's Iris Gardens worth bearing.