Re: Source of Incorrect Names

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Source of Incorrect Names
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 22:30:24 -0600 (MDT)

Walter A. Moores wrote:
>         It never occurred to me until today why some commercial iris
> growers go to so much trouble to label their irises with some sort of
> plastic or paper tag.  I received a box of rhizomes today that probably
> have been out of the ground for an entire month and are completely dried
> out.  The labeling was done by a Marks-A-Lot, and since the leaves are so
> dried and wrinkled, it is almost impossible to read the names.  Of course,
> I had a copy of what I had ordered, but I am baffled by the names on the
> extras.  There was no packing list included, so I am clueless about what
> the extras are.  I can read a word or two on one or two, but I have three
> that are useless to me because I cannot read the Marks-A-Lot writing.  I
> can see now how some people have guessed at the names and have come up
> with something similar.  A few such 'guessed at names' have been mentioned
> earlier on Iris-l and have been corrected.
>         Walter Moores
>         Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Here is a trick I learned from a mature irisarian friend of mine.
Carefully take the dried and wrinkled leave that contains the name and
place it in a bowl of water.  The water will saturate the leave which
will flatten it out so you can read the name.  Hope it works for you!

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8