Re: Hybridizing bulbous irises (was English Iris)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Hybridizing bulbous irises (was English Iris)
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 22:42:01 -0600 (MDT)

apearce@academy.net.au wrote:

> Bill Shear asked:
> >Does anyone know of any current hybridizing work with bulbous irises other
> >than junos?
>
> Lately I have been wondering how to cross Dutch Irises.  We have some in
> bloom in the garden at the moment.  I can find the anthers, but I'm not sure
> where the pollen goes.  All the hybridizing information I have is about TBs
> (I'm told they're the easiest to cross) and while I'm interested in
> hybridizing other sorts, I'm not exactly sure how to do it.   Can anyone help?

Ann,

I have hybridized Dutch iris in the past and it is quite simple.  As a
matter of fact it is exactly like the TB's.  All parts are the same and
the mechanics are also.  I'm still growing the seedlings from my crosses
but they are nothing exciting.  If you need any more info let me know.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8