Re: Stockton Order--Iris Name

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Stockton Order--Iris Name
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 12:23:27 -0600 (MDT)

Dorothy C. Frisbie wrote:

> My order from Stockton arrived the other day (first time I had ordered from
> them).  Although they weren't able to send me everything I had ordered,
> their substitutes seem to be excellent choices, including some '97
> introductions.  One of the substitutes for Coming Up Roses (I had indulged
> my lust for pink by choosing a number of pink varieties) was named something
> I can't really make out.  I can make out an 'aside', "V. Wood Pink", 1998,
> and what looks like LORUE BOSWELL or something like that for the name.
> Since they are apparently really busy right now, I hesitate to call and ask,
> but does anyone on the list have an idea?

I know a Carl Boswell from northern California, whose charming wife is named
LaRue, so I suspect the iris is named for her.

Since he recently sent me his recipe for meatball soup, I feel compelled to
mention the sign I saw on a small tank truck a couple of days ago--
"Smith and Sons: Cesspool Pumping and Bean Soup Delivery."

Gerry--who has dug about 25% of his irises in the last two days, and is _very_
appreciative of purple leaf bases. They let me identify at least four cultivars
that otherwise would have been dumped in the "miscellaneous" heap.

gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society