Re: OT: Temperature Conversions

> Our low last night was 'B'.

You *must* be a computer nerd.  Hexadecimal "B" or "b" (I prefer lower
case) is decimal 11.

I use the Canadian "Bob and Doug McKenzie" metric conversion rule.
Multiply by 2 and add 30.  This is close enough for all, unless you want
to compare records.  I *do* know the real rule as well.

Bob and Doug would say you made it to a cool (I'm jealous) 52 degrees.
The 32 + (9/5)*11 rule would give you ... roughly 52 degrees.  Pretty

Note that this is for reporting normal (30-100 F) temperatures and you
will surely fail physics, thermodynamics, and chemistry if you use the
short cut.  For those still in school, plot the two lines:

2x + 30 = y
1.8x + 32 = y

And watch how they converge rather nicely in the 30-100F (where y is F)
range, and start to diverge as all non-parallel lines do.

You can do this at work if you're really bored, as well.  :-)

I'd like it a bit cooler.  Have been planting iris like mad due to huge
orders (see other post).  I *did* limit myself, though.  I had an upper
cutoff of 7-8 dollars depending on vendor and got some of my
higher-priced wishes as extras.  I figure that if an iris is beautiful
and tough now, it'll still be that way and popular enough to keep on
growing until it gets down into that range.  Am I cheap?

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, USDA zone 8b, Sunset zone 30
Jill O. *Trades, Mistress O. {}  busy bee as proponent for: