Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic
  • From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 21:33:14 -0600 (MDT)

> Earlier this summer, as I was
> applying the stuff to a raised bed, I spread it on the lawn in order to
> cut it to proper size. I'm very deliberate about these things, so the
> stuff may have lain on the lawn for between 45 minutes and an hour and a
> half.
I too had this experience, except I was laying out the plastic and
cutting it to wrap around porch parts that I did not want painted when
we painted the house.  In under an hour a patch of grass turned brown.
Luckily with a lot of water and a little fertilizer it came back.
However when that plastic came down I laid it on a bed to solarize it.
Now admittedly I only left it about 2 weeks but the results were not
great.  Everything looked dead when I took the plastic off but the
grass, bind weed, wild purslane and another I don't know the name of
came right back and tomorrow I have to go weed it again.  Going to try
the clear plastic for a minimum of three weeks next year.  Why don't I
ever learn from someone else's mistakes?? <G>
Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7 Usda, Zone 10 Sunset
17.76".  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an average