Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Solar blanket vs black plastic
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 21:59:20 -0600 (MDT)

Dana Brown wrote:

> > Earlier this summer, as I was
> > applying the stuff to a raised bed, I spread it on the lawn in order to
> > cut it to proper size. I'm very deliberate about these things, so the
> > stuff may have lain on the lawn for between 45 minutes and an hour and a
> > half.
> I too had this experience, except I was laying out the plastic and
> cutting it to wrap around porch parts that I did not want painted when
> we painted the house.  In under an hour a patch of grass turned brown.
> Luckily with a lot of water and a little fertilizer it came back.
> However when that plastic came down I laid it on a bed to solarize it.
> Now admittedly I only left it about 2 weeks but the results were not
> great.  Everything looked dead when I took the plastic off but the
> grass, bind weed, wild purslane and another I don't know the name of
> came right back and tomorrow I have to go weed it again.  Going to try
> the clear plastic for a minimum of three weeks next year.  Why don't I
> ever learn from someone else's mistakes?? <G>

Dana--

Was the plastic sealed around the edges (with dirt, etc) and did you
keep the ground under the clear plastic damp?

With all your hot Texas sun, it should work as well as here in
California.

We'd glad to help with any tips the next time you do it.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California Sierra Nevada foothills--Zone 8