Re: CULT: Pre-germinant weed control

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997 06:53:33 -0600 (MDT) Sing7178@aol.com writes:
>Thanks for the info everyone on surflan.  I plan on going out and
>finding it
>very soon.  I am in the process of expanding my garden to an area that
>previously all grass.  Does anyone know an easy way to remove grass?
>East Peoria, Il
>Beautiful, cool morning

I don't know if there's an easy way to remove grass, but here's what I
used to convert three formerly grassy areas to two flower beds and a
pond.  First, till the soil and rake out all the grass seeds, roots,
etc., that you can.  (I usually do this step twice.)   Add your soil
amendments, such as alfalfa, manure, etc., and till again.  If the beds
are not raised, and will be bordered by grass, sink 1x6 boards or similar
material into the ground to help keep grass stolons from creeping back
into the bed.  Apply Preen to keep grass seeds from sprouting, but be
aware that it will also keep flower seeds from sprouting.  Plant as

Lynn Woosley
Marietta, GA
USDA Zone 8
Where we haven't had rain in more than a month, and the water department