Re: iris with borers

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 Gardenhous@aol.com wrote:

> bob,
> Ellens garlic and onion cure sounds like what the environment needs, not
> cygone.Can someone tell us(you) how much damage the borer could do in a
> season if the all natural garlic/onion cure didn't work?   someone wrote that
> you apply in the spring so that buys you some time to garner info.   Doreen
> F. McCabe

Actually, you can paint the Cygon on the TB's because it comes with
a painter in the bottle. But with the SIB's and JI's and other
irises with finer leaves spraying is better. It also stops iris bud
fly in the beardless irises so it's quite helpful.

They chewed up a clump of I vriginica var schrevei. I lost about
half of the Tb's and a few of the JI's and SIB's. You could put a
lot of garic in a small section of your beds and spray or paint the
rest and see how it goes in the section with garlic.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page