CULT: sand vs. crickets

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: sand vs. crickets
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:11:45 -0600 (MDT)

>Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, where the
>song of the crickets is not soothing, given their nefarious nocturnal
>activities in the garden.

Griff, thank you for mentioning the blasted crickets. This summer I had a
big problem with them eating SDBs until I found my cheap, effective,
non-toxic solution. If you pile a few tablespoons of coarse-grade sand on
the tender little rhizomes, just to cover them, the crickets don't gnaw.

It really, really works.

Water drains right through, so I'm not seeing any rot from this "sand
mulch." The only caution I can think of is not to use Play Sand or a very
fine grain sand. To much of that acts as a water barrier, and when it gets
wet it stays wet a long time, which is not what we need. I'm using No. 3
medium sand, and am happy. I do sometimes have to renew it after a heavy
downpour, but it's much cheaper and cleaner than Diatomaceous earth. A 100
pound bag costs about $3.

Little Rock, AR