Re: OT: Lamia

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Lamia
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:25:36 -0600 (MDT)

Amy Rupp writes ( Sept 97):

> La is "the" and "mia" would be mine -- with mia (vs. mio) indicating a
> female object of attention. THE ONE THAT'S MINE could be a translation,
> but "La" and "mia" are redundant. If I want to say "my music" it would
> (be) musica mia; "the music would be "la musica".

Amy,

I am not sure if you are analyzing this phrase as if it were Italian or
Spanish, but in the last act of "La Boheme" when Marcello shows the dying
Mimi the bonnet he had bought for her in the second act, and which he had
kept as a souvenir after they broke up, she exclaims (twice), "La mia
cuffietta!", so I think that, at least in Italian, "la mia" is idiomatic.

cwalters@cache.net