RE:Borers, marigold 'control'

>We have huge infestations of borers in Wi some years. I've switched
>from Cygon 2E to Ortho's Lindane Borer Control (less toxic & less
>expensive) with a spreader-sticker sprayed on the leaves in spring.
>Some folks will scoff, but have also had good luck interplanting
>marigolds. I can't explain why, but it has worked for me!
>Phyllis

	I also have planted marigolds in most iris beds this year since
	someone suggested that they might be effective in controlling slugs.

	I finally saw what they did vis-a-vis slugs. Slugs curl up in them
	and leave most of the other flowers alone. Marigolds are not pleasant
	smelling (to me) and the scent may attract the slugs. I only had to
	hand pick about 6 slugs this year and yes, one of them was sunning
	itself in a bed with marigolds. Most of the others were in a mixed
	border without marigold protection.

	Next year more marigolds - I do not particularly favor them in my
	gardens but they bloom all summer until the first hard frost so they
	have found a home here. :)

	Cheers,

	Ellen

Ellen Gallagher	\ e_galla@moose.ncia.net \ Lancaster, New Hampshire,USA
  USDA Zone 3a \ Northern White Mountains\ AIS Region 1 {New England}