RE:Borers,extreme methods

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE:Borers,extreme methods
  • From: Sharyn Hedrick <hedrick@serc.si.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 06:42:05 -0600 (MDT)

At 21:26 9/8/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>We have huge infestations of borers in Wi some years. I've switched
>>from Cygon 2E to Ortho's Lindane Borer Control (less toxic & less
>>expensive) with a spreader-sticker sprayed on the leaves in spring.
>>Some folks will scoff, but have also had good luck interplanting
>>marigolds. I can't explain why, but it has worked for me!
        I had never heard of iris borer until this year. I have 2 iris
gardens that I care for, home and at work. The garden at work got out of
hand for various reasons. It was all but destroyed by borers. I have spent
most of the summer cleaning up the destroyed irises. It's next to a pond so
using any of the pesticides that are recommended for iris borer was out. I
dug through all the iris to find survivors then had the facilities dept.
burn the entire area to the ground. I then had 5 truck loads of new dirt
brought in. When Superstition Gardens' irises arrived they went into a fresh
clean bed. Believe me, not one single fallen leaf will remain on this bed
during the winter. I won't ever go through this hell again!

Sharyn Hedrick, Annapolis, Md.