RE:Borers,extreme methods

 I won't ever go through this hell again!
>Sharyn Hedrick, Annapolis, Md.

Unfortunately, you might. At this season of the year, the pupae are in the
soil, so unless you REPLACED a foot of soil in this bed, some pupae
probably survived, and it only takes two to start a new infestation.  A
single fertilized female can lay hundreds of eggs.  And, of course, though
they are not great fliers (one moth I found emerging last week was very
sluggish and would crawl but not fly) they do get around.  Your garden
could be re-infested from nearby plantings.

I was very surprised to see this newly emerged borer moth.  It does suggest
that under certain conditions--a long season--there could be multiple

Also--replanting JIs yesterday I found a few borers in them!

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943