Re: PESTS (earwigs)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: PESTS (earwigs)
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:57:16 -0600 (MDT)

In a message dated 97-09-09 11:17:03 EDT, Ellen writes:

<<
 	We do have one pain in the neck pest that I haven't seen mentioned
 	on the list...earwigs.. >>

Earwigs also eat dahlias, they chew the petals and disfigure the plants.

On a HGTV garden show on dahlias the growers advised a smear of vaseline on
the stem of each prize dahlia.  This would not be of much use on iris but I
wonder if spraying with the product called "summer oil" (various different
brands) might not do the trick.

I have some dwarf daisy flowered dahlias in containers and I sprayed the
plants with a thinned out concoction of deer repellent ( the smelly one) and
I have no earwigs in the containers presently.  I can check the names of
these things in my barn if desired, I cannot remember all of the containers
of gunk on the shelves out there.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY