CULT: PESTS (earwigs)

Earwigs are a drag, and I have quite a few of them from time to time. They
tend to eat mostly faded flowers here, but they hide in the petals of peonies
and roses and drop off at odd moments in annoying ways. I call Henry, who
relishes dispatching them, but if I did not have this valuable resource I
would try a solution that I read in an English Renaissance gardening book.
That is: Place a hollow tube on the ground in an infested area and leave it
over several nights. When the sun is high in a few days, cover both ends of
the tube with your hands, lift it into a vertical position over a bucket of
water, and lift off your bottom hand, dropping the earwigs, which will have
congregated in the shady interior, into the water. Might be effective, and
all it would take to test it out would be a paper towel roll.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, Va
Henry Hall, henryanner@aol.com