Re: CULT: sand vs. crickets

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: sand vs. crickets
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 17:43:18 -0600 (MDT)

J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:
> >Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, where the
> >song of the crickets is not soothing, given their nefarious nocturnal
> >activities in the garden.
> Griff, thank you for mentioning the blasted crickets. This summer I had a
> big problem with them eating SDBs until I found my cheap, effective,
> non-toxic solution. If you pile a few tablespoons of coarse-grade sand on
> the tender little rhizomes, just to cover them, the crickets don't gnaw.
> It really, really works.
> Water drains right through, so I'm not seeing any rot from this "sand
> mulch." The only caution I can think of is not to use Play Sand or a very
> fine grain sand. To much of that acts as a water barrier, and when it gets
> wet it stays wet a long time, which is not what we need. I'm using No. 3
> medium sand, and am happy. I do sometimes have to renew it after a heavy
> downpour, but it's much cheaper and cleaner than Diatomaceous earth. A 100
> pound bag costs about $3.
> celia
> storey@aristotle.net
> Little Rock, AR

Celia -- Thank you so much for this posting (which I'm letting repeat in
full in case anyone missed it).  This would be cheaper and longer
lasting even than Comet cleanser, which Joan Roberts advocates.  I'll be
trying both.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, where a
cricket's place is on the hearth -- and he'd better stay there.