CULT: New Rot

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: New Rot
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 20:53:24 -0600 (MDT)

Hi All!

I have lost a newly planted MTB rhizome to a kind of rot that I have not
encountered here before. It was one that I acquired at one of the local
club sales here this summer, and was planted in the same area of *new*
ground with about 150 other rhizomes (TB, BB, IB, MTB, and AB), all of
which appear to be healthy.

The only form of rot that has previously occurred here during the warm
months is bacterial soft rot. This *new* rot appears to be fungal, however,
as several small white fuzzy spots were apparent on the affected rhizome.
It was not slimy or foul smelling, but had a puffy or spongy texture. I
might mention that since the beginning of August it has been unusually wet
and humid for this area. For only the second time in 18 years my Austrian
Copper rose is being defoliated by blackspot, so it appears that conditions
are conducive to warm weather fungal infections that do not usually occur

Does anyone have any ideas about the nature of the problem I have