Re: OT Various Pests

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT Various Pests
  • From: ross@dsrt.com
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 21:28:37 -0600 (MDT)

>         I will try this and also Anner's hollow tube suggestion...our
>         earwigs like water - altho' they will drown eventually. :)
>         I had three buckets of water on the patio soaking new beardless
>         irises before planting and every day, I would see the darn earwigs
>         crawling around the plants when I went to change the water.

Ellen,

We get lots of earwigs and I've tried the newspaper thing, also laying
boards out in the garden (same idea) neither worked very well. I've
spent hours at night out in our gardens with a flashlight squishing the
$^%#*things. I finally gave in and, although I dislike the use of
chemicals in our gardens, I have finally succomed to using products with
methylcarbamate (It's usually sold as  bait for grasshoppers, which we
have plenty of too!). It seems to take care of the earwigs pretty well.

Ross