Re: CULT: Borer--for Bob

>This is a refined paraffin that is
>applied in very dilute water solution and is used to smother the
>overwintering eggs of other insects such as scale, etc. The environmental
>repercussions are not grave, and I have found it to be very effective.
>Whether it would work on borer, I don't know. But in your situation, I'd try
>it. I'd wait until the foliage has pretty much gotten hit by frost and all
>insect activity has ceased. There is also some thought that beneficial
>nematodes may work, but others say that the borer is not vulnerable when in

Anner.... this is a very intriguing idea!  A new line of attack.... the egg
itself.  I can tell you that one of our NY hybridizers, Dana Borglum, burns
off his irises each year.  This is NOT effective on borer (although he
thought it was till Carol Warner nailed him at a conference).

But I AM very interested in your dormant oil thoughts...   we DO have a large
borer problem here (large problem AND large borer).  But I don't want to take
the chance and be the experimenter... UNLESS I were to try it in one bed I
don't particularly care about.  The other front of attack, of course, is the
moth.  Love to hear of someone who finds an irisborer moth predator or

Kathyguest... who hopes she can remember this vow all the way to November!